Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Book Thief: Random Thoughts

Well, in accordance with the main purpose of this blog here, I'm going to write about some literature. Today being, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I'm going to write a legit paper about it in the near future, but today I'm mainly going to be brainstorming and just writing random thoughts I have down.  (Hopefully these will help me write that paper...we'll see.)

Here are the current thoughts/impressions I have about this book:

1.   WHY have I not read this before? It's been around for long enough, I just never got around to it. I  feel like everyday I realize how much amazing literature there is out there to read, and never in all my years could I possibly get to all of it. I'm glad I finally got to the Book Thief. Whoever says contemporary literature, or young adult literature isn't worth reading, has obviously never read that book. (I'm not quite sure if people actually say that, but I'm sure there are some who do.)

2.   What makes this book so good? What makes it so easy to get lost in? Because there's no arguing that is one thing this book does, it gets you lost. 

3.    It's told from death's perspective, which is a new thing. I don't think I've ever read another book told from death's perspective. Talk about de-familiarization. What's worse is that 'Death' is actually likable in the book. Thats new. 

4.    The characterization of basically ALL the characters in the book is amazing. You've got Papa, who is loving, kind, and pretty much the best Father figure Liesel could ever imagine. (Random side note...what happened to Liesel's birth father again?) Then of course, you have Rosa, or Mama. She's loving in her own way, in spite of all the yelling and swearing. Liesel herself is way too lovable. The audience doesn't really have any choice but to sympathize with and love her. And then there's the Mayor's wife. She's a hard one to understand. But as the book goes on, she becomes more lovable too. And of course Rudy. No one can forget Rudy. Is it just me, or is one of the saddest parts of the book simply the fact that Rudy never got that kiss from Liesel? At least not while he was alive. That breaks my heart. I could go on, but those are the main ones I can think of now. 

5. I think it is such an honest book. It's not afraid to break hearts and make us cry (which I did, not going to lie). I mean - SPOILER ALERT - everyone dies but Liesel and Max. If I could have chosen an ending, it would not be that. By far. Liesel and Rudy would have grown up together, and gotten married. Max would forever be a part of the family. Papa and Mama would have known they did a great thing by helping out Max, and they'd go on bickering for the rest of their lives. Everyone in the town would have grown old. But no, that's not how the book ended. And that's not how the actual even would have ended in real life. I respect that about this book. It doesn't super coat anything. 

On a side note: this is for all of you out there who love the Book Thief, and those who haven't read it yet...you should. 














I think that's what I'll end up writing about. Something to do with the characterization of all the characters, including death. Which then, I could also go into perspective. That seems like a good idea. 

I'm going to keep brainstorming though.