Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Alchemist: First Thoughts

I started reading The Alchemist last night (I wasn't feeling writing my Book Thief paper yet, so I just started another book) and so far I like it. It's interesting, and I know I like it, but other than that I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. 
I read for about an hour and finished Part One of the book, and I'm definitely intrigued to know what finally happens to Santiago. 
All the religious references/allusions are interesting to me, too. For example, the old man's name is literally "Melchezidek." And he tells a story about Abraham. There is also lots of talk about God, and Melchezidek having to take a little pride in himself. I'm interested to see how this plays into the rest of the book. 

Another side note, when The Alchemist was first published in Brazil, it did NOT do well. In fact, that's probably an understatement. I think the author wrote that it sold 1 copy in 6 months, and then the exact same person bought the second copy later. Then finally it got some interest from an American, and later some good buzz from publisher's in the U.S.
Why did it not do well in Brazil? Was it just the timing, or something about the book that the people there just weren't feeling. I'm curious.

Maybe as I keep reading it will start to make more sense. One can hope, at least. 
Another thing that struck me about the book so far was how full of good one lined quotes it is! If you're interested, here are some of the best ones (in my own personal opinion.)

       










  




I'm excited to keep reading. I can't imagine it will take me that long to read, considering it's not super long and I've already made it through Part One.