Thursday, November 5, 2015

Poetry vs. Short Stories vs. Novels

Here's the conclusion I've come to lately with my English classes: I much prefer reading novels and longer books to short stories or poetry. I enjoy poetry, but there's a line for me. I would prefer short stories to the poetry. We've started reading Contemporary American short stories lately in one of my English classes and I much prefer those to poetry. However, I'm also reading The Kite Runner at the same time, and I would rather read The Kite Runner than read the short stories. 

I think since the short stories are, well, shorter, they're harder for me to get in to. And since they're so short, you have to pay very close attention because every aspect and part is definitely important. I feel like with the novels and longer books I've read and am reading, such as The Book Thief or The Alchemist, since they're longer the plot line takes longer time and thus I, as a reader, can get more immersed in it. 

I still enjoy the short stories and poetry, but if I had to pick, the novels would definitely win. It's interesting though, because if I were to ever be a writer, I would definitely write more short stories than long novels, I think.

____________________________________________________________

I read more of The Kite Runner last night, and I still love it. Even though I'm only on chapter 8 or 9, it's great. I've started reading it for 30-60 minutes or so before I go to bed, and it helps me sleep too. So win-win!

I've started thinking about what I could write about for my paper, which only has to be 3-5 pages (so not too bad. My Book Thief paper was almost 10 pages! and I'm probably going to base it all off of characters. Most likely Amir, Hassan, Baba and possibly Ali. I could definitely change my mind though as I start to read more of the book, but these seem like the biggest characters so far. 

I'm not quite sure what type of claim I'll make yet with my thesis and those characters, but I'm sure as  I continue reading it will come to me. 

____________________________________________________________

Finally, here's an uplifting literature quote for the day!